Search Submit Your Manuscript

Become A Member

  1. Home
  2. July 2017
  3. 21. Peripheral Blood Counts Abnormalities in Malaria Patients
Article Image

21. Peripheral Blood Counts Abnormalities in Malaria Patients

Subhan ud Din1, Amjad Ali2 and Naveed Khan2




Objective: To evaluate Peripheral Blood counts abnormalities and hematological changes in Patients with malaria.

Study Design: Observational / analytical Study.


Place and Duration of Study: This study was conducted at the Pathology Department of Bacha Khan Medical College Mardan and Deportment of Medicine Mardan Medical Complex (MMC) Teaching Hospital Mardan from June 2016 to April 2017.


Materials and Methods: This study included a total of 100 patients, 50 as a control group and 50 as malaria diagnosed by thin and thick films under microscopy. Complete blood counts (CBC) were performed by Hematology Analyzer (an automated Mandray Machine.)


Results: 45 out 50 patients (90%) of the malaria had anemia, Hb level was 8.95 g/dl and 40 out 50 patients (80%) had thrombocytopenia. Platelets count was 110/cmm in 10 out of 50 patients. 20% had leucopenia and the rest (80%) had normal white cell counts but Anemia and thrombocytopenia were present in more patients than control group. p-value were 0.002 and 0.003 respectively.


Conclusion: Hematological changes and peripheral blood counts abnormalities are significant findings in malaria

patients and so keeping these changes in mind, any patient presenting with anemia, thrombocytopenia, bicytopenia

or pancytopenia should be properly examined for malaria before advising  ther diagnostic procedures especially

bone-marrow aspiration and provide prompt treatment.

Key Words: Malaria, Anemia, Thrombocytopenia


Citation of articles: Din S, Ali A, Khan N. Peripheral Blood ounts Abnormalities in Malaria Patients. Med Forum 2017;28(7):86-88.